Monday, November 21, 2016

Comparison: Vetro 976 Key Lime, CiM 333 Sunshine Unique, Bullseye 0220 Sunflower Yellow Opalescent, Effetre 411 Apple Blush

I wrote about Vetro 976 Key Lime a while back, and it got me to thinking - there really is no other colour like it in the glass palette.

It really is a green, but when you put it next to a green - it looks yellow - that's how close to the edge of not being green it is. Next to a yellow - it looks green. I decided to try two really acidic yellows, as it was the closest I could find, wondering if maybe they would come close after heating.

But the verdict is, as yellowish as it is - it is still a green - and there is no other colour in the glass palette that I have access to that is the same.

I tried an old, old batch of a CiM Unique Sunshine (CiM 333) - so old it was before they started adding - 01 to the numbering, and now they don't use the term unique at all ... I even tried Bullseye 0220 Sunflower - which is an excellent match to the CiM Sunshine, btw; and I tried Effetre 411 Apple Blush, which I knew was going to be a swing and a miss. 

I think perhaps that one of the things that makes it different is that it appears to be made up of layers. It is a little streaky when worked, and you sometimes see the end of the heated rod is a transparent green - so the reason that it is unique might be that is a combination of transparent green and yellow. It is a much better blending than some of the colours - which are designed to look like streaky combos (which I love, btw), and this one just has minor colour streaks. 

 This conjoined bead is Key Lime on the Left and CiM Sunshine on the right. In real life, the key lime does look green - I don't know what your screen does to this picture.

Same bead - shot under different lighting. You can see the greenish tone on the left a little better. Maybe.

 When hot - the Key Lime is quite different. (Key Lime on the left).




 Here are the rods, laid out. From the back, Sunshine, Key Lime, Sunflower, Apple Blush.




First up - the CiM Sunshine. It's a bright, sunny colour - stays true to the rod, easy to work. 


 CiM Sunshine Unique



 



 Next up - Vetro Key Lime. There is just something about this colour - I'm not usually drawn to yellow greens - but this one is soooo punchy.

 




 



Here is the Bullseye Sunflower. You can see there is a bleached out (!) part where it went a little whiteish. Maybe too much heat there? 

But stays true to the rod colour. 

And finally - the Effetre Apple Blush. This colour is well named, like a green apple gets it's first streaks of ripeness - it is a yellow green with blushes of a light peachy colour.  It tends to vary a lot, this glass - some rods blush more than others, and some of them are so shocky they are "frit on a stick."



 Here - you can see them all together, from the left, Apple Blush, Sunflower, Key Lime, Sunshine.





While these photos may look like the difference is subtle - Key Lime is a definite green. Here I was hunting through all the colours at Nortel - the Key Lime leaf is laying on a pack of CiM Poison Apple, with the CiM Sunshine in the background.

Hmm - the quickie shot with my phone in bad lighting is a better representation of the colour than my expensive studio lights. Maybe I need to replace those!

No comments:

Post a Comment